Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Confessions of a failed blogger

Yes... I admit it...

I am rubbish, utterly rubbish at keeping a blog.

A very good thing that I am not trying to become a writer...

My poor computer is filled with a few nearly finished pieces about GIS, which seem doomed to a life in limbo without ever reaching the CLOUD... they were obstructing too much my mind and distracting me from the chaotic path to the GIS Open source enlightenment... & let me say firm and loudly how chaotic this path is... in April and May I got battered and bruised, between unfinished help index, and limited tutorials, I thought many times to die and give up... yet a few months later, I am still here...

And what I need... Is a journal!!?
A journal so my kind-hearted mentor can follow what I'm trying to do - or failing often -. A journal so I, and you, if anyone tries to read it, can keep track of the happy days when it works, and the less happy and more common ones, when all fails... But beware, it is another attempt at writing, no promises that I will be better this time at completing it... and moreover, it will be dry, dry and boring. (although to warn you it will always start by the title of the project I am working on, then the day)  What will it be about? At the moment two distinct efforts... The first is to learn how to use GRASS, one of the most powerful open-source GIS software out there and especially its 3D functions http://grass.osgeo.org/. The second, the completion of the FG project (pronouce 'figi'), an interactive map of the Forest Gardens in Cumbria. I warned you but let me say it again, this is more to keep track than to attract litterate discussion, I'll try to add links and maybe if I'm inspired a couple of line of descriptions, but don't get your hopes up, don't hope for much.

Still amateurs of my witty interpretations of the keys to the GIS world, fear not... I do intend to take again my cybernatic pen and finish and write more of these litterary pieces more worthy of your attention than my journal ramblings, I still want to try to support other pure and innocent souls which embarks on this dangerous, this erratic and barmy idea - but Oh so worth doing - of learning GIS on your own...

No comments:

Post a Comment